Green Growth Africa Sustainability Network (#GreenGrowthAfrica); formerly the International Support Network for African Development, is accepting applications from secondary school students in Africa, to participate in Ecoheroes Initiative 2023/2024 Cohort. ‘EcoHeroes Initiative’ is aimed at empowering African youths with action competences through the acquisition and application of their classroom knowledge and skills gained in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM), and Arts to address environmental and social challenges within their local communities. The EcoHeroes Initiative focuses on raising a new generation of 21st century green workforce, who are skilled at developing solutions to the 21st century challenges.
EcoHeroes applicants are to identify environmental problems in their communities and develop solutions focused on sustainable development in three thematic pillars, namely; Sustainable Energy; Sustainable Transportation; and Climate Change. Selection criteria include:
1. Student teams must be from secondary schools in any of the African countries, previous teams of past EcoHeroes Initiative cohorts and EcoHeroes Clubs are welcomed to apply.
2. Each secondary school will be represented by a team comprising of at least, ten (10) students and a coordinating teacher. 50% of the students in the team should be girls, this would be waved for same sex (boys-only/girls-only) schools. However, more students and teachers are allowed depending on the nature of their project.
3. Each team is expected to identify any environmental challenges/needs in their local communities, brainstorm and ideate solution(s) to address this need/challenge.
4. Only innovative and inspiring project ideas that are in line with the three thematic areas of Sustainable Energy, Sustainable Transportation and Climate Change, will be considered. Project ideas must also express and give room for creativity, critical thinking, collaboration, communication, and other green skills.
5. The period of project completion must be within 3 to 4 months.
To begin your application journey, visit: https://thegreengrowth.org/
What do you stand to benefit as a participant?
As a participant, you have the opportunity to reap a multitude of benefits within the Green Growth Africa Sustainability Network’s initiative. These rewards encompass mentorship and guidance from both international and local experts, who will serve as technical advisors to refine and assist in the project’s implementation through invaluable mentorship and advisory support. Furthermore, you’ll experience capacity development through critical thinking, hands-on project execution, online webinar presentations, and comprehensive training. In particular, coordinating teachers will receive specialised training on Education for Sustainable Development.
Financial support is also a key aspect, with new schools eligible for funding of up to $400 USD for the implementation of each project idea. Schools that have previously benefited from the EcoHeroes Initiative, formerly known as the Environmental Education Programme (EEP), will receive funding of up to $200 USD. Participants will also be recognised with certificates of participation for student teams, certificates of recognition for coordinating teachers, and letters of recommendation for exceptional educators. An exciting opportunity awaits to share project outcomes with secondary school students from around the world by fostering global connections.
Furthermore, participants will be able to leverage the global visibility and publicity provided by #GreenGrowthAfrica and its partners. Upon project completion, the top three “EcoHeroes” Clubs with the most innovative and impactful projects, will be awarded additional monetary prizes, supporting the ongoing operation of their clubs within the EcoHeroes Initiative. Green Growth Africa Sustainability Network, formerly known as the International Support Network for African Development, is a United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)-accredited non-governmental organisation. Its dedication lies in pioneering innovative, sustainable solutions to tackle Africa’s development challenges. The organisation operates a diverse network of experienced professionals, researchers, and students worldwide, all united in their commitment to realising an inclusive economic growth and development path that prioritises low-carbon, climate-resilient, and resource-efficient approaches while preserving and enhancing biodiversity and ecosystems.