A 6-month renewable position for a News Reporter is currently open at the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), the Ibadan headquarters. Applicants, who wish to be considered for this role are expected to possess strong research skills, excellent communication abilities encompassing writing, reading, and speaking, a solid foundation in journalism, digital literacy, and proficiency in audio production. Furthermore, candidates should demonstrate logical reasoning and a commitment to objectivity in reporting. Key responsibilities for the news reporter role are:
1. Covering and documenting events and stories at the Institute for Radio IITA, including live reporting.
2. Scheduling and conducting interviews for news purposes.
3. Creating and developing news articles.
4. Establishing and cultivating contacts within the news industry.
5. Writing, editing, submitting, and attending news events.
6. Ensuring the accuracy of statements and facts through proofreading and verification.
7. Editing, recording in the field, and producing news reports for radio, web, and broadcast.
8. Managing the organisation of news department files, including a digital archive of broadcasted news stories.
9. Crafting and delivering news stories with the audience’s perspective in mind.
10. Publishing or broadcasting news stories to the intended audience.
11. Adhering to the ethical standards and codes of journalism.
12. Maintaining detailed notes and audio recordings.
13. Collaborating effectively with fellow reporters, chief editors, producers, and other team members.
14. Being prepared to undertake any other job-related tasks as assigned by supervisors.
Application procedure: Interested candidates should complete the online application by attaching a comprehensive cover letter and curriculum vitae, both saved in Microsoft Word format with their names. The application can be submitted through the IITA website: https://apply.